Market-led Sustainable Agriculture Production
The three outputs envisaged to increase market-led farm production are:
- Increased production resilience, diversification and innovation to be achieved by:
- promoting climate smart agriculture production, crops and livestock diversification and management practices;
- strengthening existing farmers’ groups and establishing new groups;
- strengthening extension services and increasing their outreach, including through lead farmers;
- support for agricultural inputs, including seeds;
- developing water use efficient irrigation by upgrading 700 acre of existing dysfunctional irrigation systems and piloting three lift irrigation systems in four southern dzongkhags;
- agricultural innovations (e-agriculture and permaculture); and
- a pilot to strengthen local institutions for increased smallholder climate resilience.
- Intensification and expansion of vegetable production by:
- strengthening 120 existing vegetable producers’ groups and promoting and capacitating 300 new groups;
- providing climate resilient vegetable seeds and 1 900 sets of sprinkler or drip irrigation systems; and
- supporting vegetable seed research and production.
- Intensification and expansion of dairy production by:
- strengthening 43 existing smallholder dairy farmers’ groups and establishing 150 new groups;
- improving service outreach for livestock including Community Animal Health Worker (CAHW) model;
- supporting fodder and feed production;
- providing 2 000 crossbred cows and materials to construct cowsheds; and
- installing 800 bio-gas units.